Monday, May 12, 2008

Planning and Forecasting


A question 'well-wishers' frequently confront you with, "Where do you want to be 5 years from now?" or, "where do you see yourself 10 years from now?" Is it a rhetorical question? Do they really expect an answer? I don't know what to answer that with even if there is a right answer to such queries! 2 years ago I didn't even know I would be working in my current profile; a month ago I wasn't sure I would be sticking to it!

One can't necessarily plan out half a decade in advance. But no, they are not asking for the plan but a general idea! Believe me, the demarcation is invisible...

Planning on such elaborate scale not only takes away the spontaneity from my life but also sucks out the element of surprise from it...But that is not the true reason I (and I hope others like me would agree on this) don't like to plan so much in advance. The reason for this is in case, life doesn't follow the planned route there would always be those bunch of 'well-wishers' waiting to question your planning and execution skills and blaming you for not sticking with your plans for your life! You become answerable. I don't know how, why, when but, you do become liable to defend yourself and answer those questions. And, your monologue is usually followed by the usual 'told-you-so's'. Really if you did do you think I wouldn't have remembered?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Boy !! :) ... specific target audience?? :)